Over the last year, I started buying SSD drives. It used to be that they seemed pretty expensive, and of questionable performance and reliability. But, all things have improved over the years. And, when 120GB drives dropped under $1/GB (initially after rebates, later before rebate [if any]). I didn't have an immediate need for an SSD drive at the time, but I envisioned replacing the drive in my (u) laptop. And, perhaps my (w) laptop....beyond that I wasn't sure.
3/05/12 - Patriot Pyro 120GB - $159.99-$40 rebate = 119.99 3/20/12 - OCZ Agility 3 120GB - $139.99-$30 rebate = 109.99 4/27/12 - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB - $ 99.99 5/16/12 - OCZ Solid 3 60GB - $ 74.99-$20 rebate = 54.99 8/10/12 - Sandisk 128GB - $ 79.99 11/21/12 - Kingston HyperX 2K 240GB - $149.99 1/18/13 - Sandisk Extreme 120GB - $ 89.99-$15 reward = 74.99 1/18/13 - Sandisk Extreme 120GB - $ 89.99-$15 reward = 74.99
But, during this time...I had the lhaven misstep Where I had picked up the 60GB drive for that, but ended up using the Mushkin 120GB drive instead. The OCZ Agility 3 120GB had gone in as OS drive for my Xen Cloud Experiment. And, stayed when I went on to making it FreeBSD. Cut up initially as 64k boot, 32GB swap, 16GB L2ARC for the mirrored 1.5TB drives to help with dedup...and the rest...63GB root zpool.
Somehow the Patriot got misplaced for a while, so it got overlooked during the chaos.
After a 'break'. I picked up the Sandisk 128GB drive. Thinking that it might be a better choice to use to finally replace the (u) laptop harddrive. Though I waited until after the NN conference in October to do it, but before I went to LISA in December. Though I didn't finally upgrade the the OS to 12.04 (from 10.04) until just last week. I had thought about doing a clean install to 64-bit....since there were some issues since I upgraded the memory to 8GB. But, changing the hibernate method seemed to have solved the issue....so decided to leave it 32-bit. Though my (w) laptop is 64-bit...though it only has 4GB. Not sure if I'll upgrade it to 8GB. Or when I'll upgrade its harddrive to SSD.
Things have been kind of tight since...on the 128GB Sandisk drive. partly because swap got a bit bigger...had suspected that 8GB swap was iffy for hibernation....so had bumped that up. Plus the original harddrive was 160GB. But, the lion share of space consumption is my Windows XP VM. But, it get's the job done.
Meanwhile...around this time I got the idea that instead of making the risky upgrade of my two Ubuntu servers from 10.04 to 12.04, that I would set up two new FreeBSD servers and migrate the essential services over before deciding the future of those systems. So, I acquired a pair of Shuttle XS36V's...4GB of memory for each...and then eventually the plan was to acquire a pair of SSDs for them. Which I finally did last week as a pair of SanDisk Extreme 120GB drives. (with the help of $30 from Best Buy Reward Zone....and this purchase should get me a $5 reward zone soon.) And, these will probably get installed as FreeBSD 9.1.
Pages: 1· 2
It isn't that new....in fact I had picked it up from a clearance table a couple months ago. But, it sure is tiny compared to what was sitting in its place before.
For sometime, the latest storage configuration was a pair 300GB firewire drives and a 1TB firewire drive connected to the box and its 160GB system drive. The 1TB drive broken into two partitions...1/3 & 2/3...the larger as MMCVideo storage and the smaller for local stuff. The 1TB replaced what was 3 300GB firewire drives, when one of the drives failed....and it was a total loss, but I had restored some 400GB from backuppc to recover.
I had kept the 2 remaining 300GB drives as a two set disk2disk backup of the system drive (with the help of Retrospect 6).
Well, the remaining two 300GB drives had started failing a few months back. One of them failed completely a couple months ago....prompting me to eventually buy a new drive.... But, the other 300GB drive continued to work more or less and I changed the backup schedule to only use that drive. It did lead to some bad crashes now and then, but apparently not enough to take it off.
This morning while I was looking at other things, including tweaking backuppc...and push some fulls now that I'm in a quiet period of system activity (gumby is now more of a TiVo Desktop machine than MMC, but its kind of a quiet period for new TV...even though I'm really behind on my watching, and could find that some recording didn't happen and then need to find somewhere to buy the show....)
But, I decided it was time to retire the other 300GB drive before something worse happened...and break out the 250GB drive I had purchased.
Latest Poopli Updaters -- http://lkc.me/poop
|<< <||> >>|
freebsd netflix zen raid prescription «doctor who» «hd movie» orac ebay cfengine3 «amazon prime» usb «windows xp» boinc tv amazon.com backuppc twitter upgrade cpap appletv newegg box dvd voip ubuntu «instant streaming» «tivo hd» ups eyeglasses mdadm 10.04lts «sans digital» «windows 7» «watch instantly» dsl «air purifier» batteries woot lhaven «powersource 400» linux tivo virtualbox «chicago tardis» cox replaytv raid1 b2evolution tardis